By 2024: 100% of our tuna sourced from MSC certified fisheries or Robust Fishery Improvement Projects (Robust FIPs);
By 2024: 100% of the other species (Salmon, Mackerel and Sardines) sourced from MSC/ASC certified fisheries or Robust Fishery/Aquaculture Improvement Projects (Robust FIPs/AIPs).
SUSTAINABLE FISHING METHODS:
- By 2020: 50% of tuna procurement from more selective fishing methods with a lower level of bycatch and environmental impact (Pole & Line, hand line, Small-scale sustainable vessels*, FAD-free purse seiner).
- By 2020: 50% of tuna procurement from large scale purse seiner with FAD management measures in place:
- Only non-entangling FADs (in compliance with ISSF guidelines);
- Maximum 300 active FAD drifting per vessel and per ocean, without increasing them where the number of FAD used was less than 300;
- Communication of catch data to RFMOs, including data related to the use of FADs, within 4 months.
- By 2019: we will finalize an analysis to better quantify the number of FAD used by the vessels we procure from and to identify additional measures, such as limits on the number of FAD sets, targets for biodegradable FADs, supply vessels management by 2020.
- By 2018: for Bolton-owned vessels:
- Continue to prohibit the use of supply vessels;
- Max 150 active FADs for the Atlantic Ocean (Saupiquet) and max 300 active FADs for the Pacific Ocean (Garavilla);
- Register Bolton-owned vessels on the transparentsea.org website where we will post data regarding fishing trips within 4 months.
SUPPORTING MARINE ECOSYSTEM:
Support the funding of protected marine areas;
Finance projects to combat ocean pollution (recovery of fishing gear, FADs or plastic).
The progress on all the above commitments will be externally audited by an independent third-party certification body/auditor on an annual basis.
Furthermore, we are committed to fully involve our suppliers in this improvement process through specific requests in our buyers’ agreement and monitoring progresses.
* Small vessels performing short fishing trips (<2 weeks) flagged to the country whose waters in which they are fishing and fishing only with sustainable practices.